Friday, March 7, 2008

Last MInute Routine

Well, Donnie was supposed to be home very, very soon but he just left me a VM that things may have changed - which is really not all that unusual and in fact expected. But see, me being your typical procrastinator, decided today prior to the VM that I was going to be ahead of the game. When hubby leaves, I tend to let a few things slide around the house such as the laundry and the grocery shopping. I usually don't cook big dinners, the kids and I have soup or sandwiches or cereal. Basically I keep things simple. In fact you would probably find most military wives engage in this routine in one way or another. After being alone with the kids for X number of weeks that sink full of dishes or pile of clean laundry that has been sitting in the basket for 2 weeks really doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Well my normal routine is to wait until the last minute to clean the house, laundry, cars, etc so everything has that fresh feeling to it and hopefully gives off the impression it has been like that since he left (of course Donnie knows me too well and knows I do this, but is nice enough not to comment on it). Well I figured I would get everything done early so I don't have to stress right before he comes home. So today I cleaned the entire house, did all the laundry and even put it away, which is one of those things that slides when he is gone and went grocery shopping. I even took Lily to the doggy spa for a new haircut and a bath (I will post pics later cuz she is so cute with her new haircut and bow.) Yeah well alot of good all that effort did. After 13 years of this you would think I would realize to stick with what I know best and that is procrastinating. So who knows how many more times this routine will be practiced this month? So much for being proactive.

On a different note....soccer was completely awesome. I play for the Lady Dragons and we are of course...green. Our first game is in a week so I am really excited. Even though it has been so long since I have last played, once I got out there it seemed like just yesterday (of course my butt is bigger and I probably don't move like I used to, but who pays attention to those little details). Katie has already warned me that soccer has become quite the physical sport with the younger kids in TX and apparently that feeling is mutual here because my team told me they got manhandled by an indoor team of 15 yr olds who were crazy and intense and screaming at everyone. Sounds like good old fashion soccer to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one child and my husband isn't in the military .... don't know how you do it!!

I still haven't found a team. I told them my age when they asked ... maybe they don't want an old lady on their team!

The Hake Family said...

I second what Katie said - I have NO idea how you do it!