Monday, April 28, 2008

Superstitious Believer....

So I have never really been a superstitious person...I mean if a black cat crosses my path I will think about it or if we break a mirror then I will joke about having 7 yrs bad luck, but I am really not that superstitious. But apparently my feelings are changing. I think I have jinxed myself. First I will give you some background: I typically don't get sick with the exception of having strep throat. I will catch strep if someone is within 20 feet of me. I did not start getting strep until we moved to Ft. Campbell in TN, but once we got there it became my nemisis. Every year I would get strep at least 2-3 times and be out of work for a week minimum. And I would not just get the sore throat...along with it comes the high fever and the swollen throat, the white spots and pain that goes up my neck and into my head which makes it almost impossible to move....sounds lovely right? Well the last time I had strep in TN the Dr. told me the reason I got strep so much was because I had such bad allergies and if I fixed the allergies the strep would go away. Made sense to me and shortly after that we moved away from the allergies of TN. Since we have left TN I have not had any allergies or strep throat, espeically since we got to WA. So here's where the jinx comes in:

Right before Donnie left, we took a long walk with the dog and were talking about all the things we would miss about Washington after we left and my biggest one was that I would miss not having any allergies or strep throat since it had been 2 yrs since my last episode. Well unfortunately here I am sick as a dog with strep throat. It came on out of the blue this weekend while I was at a friend's birthday party. I left early and by the time I got home I was done. I was going to wait until Monday to go to the Dr. but when I woke up on Sunday morning, my throat was almost swollen shut and I had a 102 fever and could not swallow. So off to the ER I went with the kids and all. 5 hours later they confirmed what I told them to begin with....I had strep. They wanted to give me pills to take for 10 days but I have a marathon in 10 days so that is really not going to work for me. I told them I was a pro at strep and to give me a shot in the butt, which they so nicely obliged. So I still feel like crap, my throat hurts and I have a 2500 word paper due tonight which I have not started on. Oh and by the way, Savannah woke up this morning with a sore throat so back to the Dr. we are headed now.

So the moral of this story is I think I am a believer now, unless there is wood around to knock on!

2 comments:

The Hake Family said...

Oh my goodness - I hope all of you are feeling better soon! Good luck with the marathon too!!

Anonymous said...

Soooo, not to be a bad influence ... but IF you ever wanted an excuse to bail on a marathon .... you have like three!!